Author Topic: Necrognomecon 2 - Back from the dead.  (Read 4684 times)

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
Necrognomecon 2 - Back from the dead.
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
The final convention before I leave for Australia, got a job sorted and wife's visa sorted, passports etc..

So Necrognomecon 2, Sunday the 19th of August. From 11:00 to approx 22:30.

So far will be:
Gammaworld
Elric
Dark Heresy
Deathwatch
Heroquest
Some Homebrew Scifi game
Probably other stuff.

Anyway the usual arrangements, if you want to stay the night, that's NPS, although I appreciate it'll be tricky for people to make it on a Sunday.
If you intend to come please let me know in advance.

Link to the blog: http://necro2.blogspot.co.uk/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:37:24 PM by danskmacabre »

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
Re: Necrognomecon 2 - Back from the dead.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
Thanks for coming those who came:  Andy, Brian, Riche and Joe.
Good to see you all for the last time we're in the UK.  :)

I had a lot of fun running the Zombies board game with the adapted RPG rules.
I ran 2 sessions of that.

One a mission to go into a city infested with zombies to rescue survivors and get supplies. 

The other was set just as the Zombie apocalypse kicked off and the characters were students having a party in a graveyard.

Apart from that I played some boardgames as well and there were various other RPGs and boardgames happening.

So we're all off to sunny Brisbane on the 11th of September, once we're settled in, feel free to visit if you like, it's only a short hop on a plane!  ;)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:59:11 AM by danskmacabre »

Offline Silky

• Gamers
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
Awesome news that you are going to Brisbane! What part are you going to settle in? What you doing for work? I'm hoping to have an interview with Queensland Ambulance service in the next few months and hopefully will be living and working in north Brisbane by early next year.

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »
Awesome news that you are going to Brisbane! What part are you going to settle in? What you doing for work? I'm hoping to have an interview with Queensland Ambulance service in the next few months and hopefully will be living and working in north Brisbane by early next year.

Yeah how bizarre is that?!  Richie told me the other day you're applying for a job in Brissy and just going through Visa Stuff atm.

I will be working in Toowong, sort of West of Central Brisbane. I expect we will live somewhere fairly close to Toowong, certainly within cycling distance, as I prefer to cycle to work.

I'm a computer programmer by trade so the new job is programming as well.

If you move to Brissy, feel free to get in touch via email or this forum. As we don't actually have a house yet (we're going to get temporary accommodation at first) I don't have an address to post yet.
We should be all settled in after a month or so I guess.

So what made you decide to move to Oz/Brisbane?  just the work? Sick of UK?  weather?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:27:25 PM by danskmacabre »

Offline Silky

• Gamers
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »

Yeah a big part of it is a better future for our kids.  But a MUCH higher wage in Oz is good too.
Are you renting now in the UK or did you buy?

We will be renting a house for a year and then hopefully, having one built. I will be really keen to get some role playing games and 40K going in Brisbane and there seems to be big scenes for both in Queensland.

We will rent for a while to see what area we want to live in and then see how it goes from there.
Not really sure what hobbies I will take up over there, I would like to take up Skydiving again and I will probably play and run RPGs as well sometime.
I did a bit of research on RPG clubs in Brissy, there seems to be a few about.
Not much in the way of RTPG shops tho that I can see, but there's always mail order from other states.

Offline Silky

• Gamers
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
I've always wanted to run a games shop so if there is a gap in the market I would consider it. I'm going to try and become the sole distibutor of Dwarven Forge in Australia and NZ. It's made in China so should be able to get it imported quite cheaply!

We own a house here and will probably rent it out for a few years in case we decide to return to the UK or just wait until the housing market picks up here.

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
I've always wanted to run a games shop so if there is a gap in the market I would consider it. I'm going to try and become the sole distibutor of Dwarven Forge in Australia and NZ. It's made in China so should be able to get it imported quite cheaply!

Dwarven forge as in the guys who make RPG scenery?
That sounds like fun.  I did note there's a rpg store down towards the gold coast and I expect there's a Games workshop somewhere in Brissy, would be fun to run an RPG shop with all sorts of stuff tho.  Who knows if there's a market, it's a niche hobby, but it would be great to be able to make a living off of it.

We own a house here and will probably rent it out for a few years in case we decide to return to the UK or just wait until the housing market picks up here.

Ah nice to have a fallback plan then. Australia is not for everyone, according to those "moving to Oz" tv shows, the return rate for those from the UK is something like 25% or thereabouts.

Offline Silky

• Gamers
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
I own a bunch of Dwarven Forge. My mate Jens has the license for europe and there the main distribution is done in the USA but no else in the world sells the stuff.

I did my only sky dive in Byron Bay, would love to have another go!

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »
I own a bunch of Dwarven Forge. My mate Jens has the license for europe and there the main distribution is done in the USA but no else in the world sells the stuff.

Could be a good opportunity, all that stuff looks pretty high quality.

I did my only sky dive in Byron Bay, would love to have another go!

I used to do skydiving in Sydney, many years ago... it was awesome.
The falling part is the best, the actual parachuting part gets a bit boring after a while.

Offline Rich

• Gamers
Necrognomecon 2 - Back from the dead.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »
Gore. Thanks for ref'ing the 2 Zombie games on Sunday they were good fun.

Just a bit of feedback for the guys at the club would be that if they do another one of these a Saturday would be better than a Sunday for those of us travelling from further afield.
"Don't you dare criticise my gameplay!"
"I play Pathfinder to enjoy myself, not to be bullied by other players!"
"What am I going to do if I'm not the leader?"

Un Pan Tang, Un Bobl, Un Arweinydd! Henffych Buddugoliaeth!

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 08:20:24 AM »
Gore. Thanks for ref'ing the 2 Zombie games on Sunday they were good fun.

NPS, was good fun.  Very simple rules but it kept the game moving fast, especially as there were 9 players at one stage!  :D

Just a bit of feedback for the guys at the club would be that if they do another one of these a Saturday would be better than a Sunday for those of us travelling from further afield.

Yeah I agree Saturday would have been better. I will pass that onto the guys for next time they run a con.

Offline Silky

• Gamers
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »
Talking of Cons Rich, have you made any progress with Rob at Firestorm Games?

Offline Silky

• Gamers
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
Gore, for you (and Storm) lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
Gore, for you (and Storm) lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

Just had a chance to watch that,  heh.   Funny name similarity.

But we're no hippies and anything that is considered "Alternative medicine" we use and continue to do so is via trying things out and if it has a positive effect then continue to use. We also happily use traditional modern medicine as well as appropriate, but at the same time use our own judgement about what of modern medicine we decide to use.
Nothing like doing a bit of research before trying things out. Doctors and scientists get things wrong too (thalidomide for example).

Interesting he slags off Acupuncture which IS medically proven to work now for certain conditions.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Acupuncture/Pages/Introduction.aspx

As for all the rest I agree with a lot of what he says, but not everything. One needs to keep an open mind which to a degree he actually says that, but it seems he would prefer to leave everything up to the "professionals" to figure out and let them tell us what works and what doesn't.

A point in case was the Aspirin which he refers to. If Aspirin tablets didn't exist and weren't discovered by scientists he wouldn't take a home remedy of broken down Willow bark because a doctor (science) didn't tell him it was ok.

After saying that I totally agree in the views about religion.

Like most things there are no black and whites and this guys comedy (which was funny btw) is very black and white.