Author Topic: kit purchase  (Read 6647 times)

Offline brian

• Regia Member
kit purchase
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:20:23 AM »
hey folks, know it's been a long time an all, how are you all doing, i'm looking to join back up but won't join you guys until i have some kit and was looking around on the binsy site, how do you all rate his weapons and are the 140 quid ones good and do they meet regia specs? also what is the delivery time and is the guy in regia, could he be found at major/local shows, love and kisses but no tongues! brian.

ps, may have new blood for the group, work colleague who has travelled the world a bit, is an almost qualified diving instructor and itching to get involved with history, his names andy moore and works different weekend to me - i work sundays and he works saturdays - do you guys still have hearth night as this would be best way to introduce him.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:26:21 AM by brian »

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
Re: kit purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »
Hey Brian, Gore here.

As  far as I know, Binns swords are OK for Regia. I would recommend posting a link to the sword you want to buy and Will or whoever can confirm if it's OK to use.

Would be cool to get new members, as to hearth nights, there are no regular meetings anymore, however I have been hassling Will lately to get this happening again.

I reckon if you contact the people who are interested, we can arrange some meeting somewhere local in Cardiff and if they're/We're interested haave some sort of semi-regular meetings.

IMO, having meetings one a semi-regular basis keeps a group alive, however Will is sick of chasing people to come to meetings and stuff, so I have volunteered to act as a go between and contact point and generally the person to hassle people to turn up to things such as meetings etc.

BTW, you should have access to the Regia members forum now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:58:38 AM by danskmacabre »

Offline wvallance

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
My current sword is a Binns and I consider them the best swords for Regia.

Doesn't tend to go to shows, even the big multi society ones, so your best bet is either to place an order or to go to one of the re-enactment fairs at the end of the year.

For soft kit, we can arrange so kit making sessions to get people up to scratch.

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »
For soft kit, we can arrange so kit making sessions to get people up to scratch.

Maybe the kit making sessions would be better than a meeting in a pub (now I think of it we discussed this last week).
Kit making sessions are great, a bit of social, plus people can get their kit together.

But where should it take place?

There's my place , which the lounge room is big enough and if we did it on a Weekend day, it would be fine to have lots of people making noise there, but I am not central to Cardiff, although it's not very far from Cardiff either.

Offline caradoc y dioglyd

• Regia Officers
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:24:47 PM »
I have one of the cheaper Binns swords, I like it, it seems to be a very hard alloy & the delivery time was about 2 weeks after promising 4.

I need help with my soft kit, but now that Lori is interested she may deign to help me out instead of sneering at my efforts, I will be ordering the 'Medieval Tailors assistant' from amazon USA shortly which might help.

I could do with some advice on period fletching soon as well, I succumbed to temptation & bought a long bow at Detling.
you can't get the wood you know

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:58:36 PM »
Sounds like a kit day on a weekend is on the cards.
When are people up for this?

I have a few bits, but need to get a shield blank, calico/canvas to cover a shield, some material for an undertunic.
As it turns out I have some material for a tunic.

I also needs lots of cotton/calico for a dress for storm and costumes for the kids.
If anyone has anu ideas for cheap suppliers for this I would be grateful.

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 08:23:53 AM »
Had a chat with Will, He's gonna look into getting wood for Shield blanks, check how much Material for undertunics, tunics, shield coverings and other miscellaneous stuff he's got in stock and then possibly restock before we do a Kit making day.

We were discussing the possibility of doing a kit making day in a couple of weeks.

Offline wvallance

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »
Thinking about Saturday the 8th at my place for the first session.
We'll confirm nearer the time.

• Regia Officers
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 02:54:16 PM »
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:59:51 PM by caradoc y dioglyd »

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:41:09 PM »
Saturday the 8th sounds good.

I will add that textile link to the website as well.

• Regia Officers
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 11:33:39 PM »
I have 4 metres of linen spare, I need a bit to cover my shield but the remainder is spare.

Offline danskmacabre

• Administrator
    • Chaos8.com
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »
That's nice, I may need some for my shield, I will pay for it of course.

Offline brian

• Regia Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 01:07:29 AM »
if anyone can help a poor crippled half blind..... okay lazy person i have a fair amount of material I've been collecting, last count was around half dozen bits of cloth of passable tunic type material and some more usable as cloak material and some stuff usable as under tunic, will dig everything out and have a look, kit weekend sounds good, regarding the weapons would a cheque be cool for binsy, how have you guys paid? do you still have the remains of my leaf shaped spear will?

• Regia Officers
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 01:37:01 PM »
I paid by cheque, give him a ring.

I see you've been waiting for the kit fairy to arrive as well. ;).  I was still sewing at 2am at York.

Offline brian

• Regia Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
er, have taken stock of my material and not quite as much as i had originaly thought, maybe the thread goblins have been in my box! think i may have given some of it away or could just be filed under L for lost -among the debris that is our house!  realy do need to stop playing magic the gathering online and pull my finger out, will see y'all at wills on 8th, maybe?